wattle and daub

A material for filling wall panels between supporting timbers in timber-frame buildings, consisting of a lattice of rods daubed with some combination of soil, clay, straw or animal dung.

This definition is abridged from A – Z of tree terms: A companion to British arboriculture.
Read the preface. Order the book.

Previous term | Next term